The Pastry Cook prepares and cooks food in their designated area of the kitchen, assisting the rest of the Back of House team to produce quality pastry that upholds the culture and reputation of the restaurant.
The Pastry Cook reports to the Executive Pastry Chef.
Key Focus Areas
- To master and run specific area/station in the kitchen
- Is flexible and over time learns different stations
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working as part of a team to ensure that all tasks are completed in order of priority, and in the allotted time frame
- Ensuring that all staff have a safe and pleasant work environment at all times
- Set up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies
- Ensuring that all food that they produce is equal to or above the minimum set standards
- Ensuring astute portion control, wastage control and adhering to par levels in their department
- Maintaining superior personal hygiene practice at all times
- Has an attitude of continuous improvement; contributes new ways to create efficiencies or work more effectively either individually or as a team member
- Adheres to new COVID-19 sanitary guidelines
- Communicates any food or people related issues to the Sous Chef or Executive Pastry Chef in a timely manner
- Has a positive, professional attitude; always on time and focused on the job they need to do
- Open to feedback to help improve and learn new skills
- You understand that we require a positive and respectful attitude in the workplace. You will attempt to understand and strive to behave in a way that is in line with the company’s values of respect, excellence, transparency and resilience. The full definition of these values is in our company handbook.
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
Minimum 1 year of experience
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Matter House reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Matter House or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.