Engineers are responsible for maintaining the general condition of the property with regards to all aspects of basic electrical, carpentry, plumbing, mechanical, painting, tiling and wallcovering. This position completes maintenance request work orders from all departments on a timely basis and participates in the preventive maintenance program for all-building equipment and rooms.
· Engineering team and all other relevant departments
· Restaurant customers and hotel guests/visitors
All areas of The Standard, East Village, with a focus on guest rooms and engineering workshop
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
o Able to traverse spaces throughout building as necessary
o Able to move and traverse workspace for a minimum period of 8 hours a day
o Periodical bending, kneeling and stretching
o Able to pull, push, carry and lift at least 75 pounds
o Must be able to seize, grasp, turn and hold objects with hands
· Understanding: Ability to read, comprehend and carry out instructions according to established procedures
· Comprehension: Fluent in the English language
· Organizational Skills: Work efficiently, utilize multi-tasking, prioritize tasks
· Hygiene and Sanitation: Adherence to uniform, grooming and personal hygiene standards and expectations per Standard of Operating Procedures
· Punctuality: Adherence to posted schedule and arrival time and attendance at mandatory meetings
· Responsibility: Personal comportment in line with Standard, New York policies, standards, and expectations
· Able to remain in stationary position for extended periods of time
· Must work with sharp objects in a safe manner
· Able to be exposed to hot and cold temperature extremes
· Ability to endure under variable temperature conditions, noise levels, outdoor weather, and atmospheric conditions (being around fumes, odor hazards, dust, mite hazards, chemicals, etc)
· Ability to work in cramped or tight spaces
· Requires manual ability to use, carry, and operate all necessary equipment
· Minimum one (1) year experience as a commercial electrician.
· Working knowledge of all electrical supplies and equipment.
· Knowledge of proper chemical handling and disposal.
· Working knowledge of:
o National and local health codes
o National and local electrical codes
o National and local national/local fire codes
o National and local mechanical codes
o Blueprints and wiring schematics
o Power and hand tools, meters, etc. as it relates to the technical trades
· Provide legible communication and directions.
· Compute mathematical calculations (add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers)
· Ability to:
o Interpret manufacturer's literature for installation, preparation, use and upkeep of various materials and products used throughout the property.
o Be well organized and follow instructions.
o Focus attention on details.
o Operate high reach lifts.
o Prioritize tasks and comply with deadlines for work assignments.
o Be a clear thinker and perform well under pressure work assignments.
o Work and perform job functions with minimal supervision.
o Work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
· High school graduate or equivalent vocational training
· Certification or completion of seminars for specialized training
· Ability to perform basic carpentry skills
· Previous work experience in a similar area
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
· Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
· Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
· Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
· Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
· Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
· Receive daily work assignments from Chief Engineer/Supervisor and review priorities and special projects.
· Organize materials, tools and equipment to perform daily assignments.
· Maintain timelines and work schedule in accordance with the preventive maintenance program.
· Check work orders and night report for any problems. Make rounds checking these problem areas and note any information needed or safety concerns in the hotel.
· Schedule work in accordance with preventive maintenance program in rooms, coordinating with the Executive Housekeeper and Front Office.
· Perform electrical work orders:
o Replace light switches.
o Reset circuit breakers.
o Replace wall plug receptacles.
o Replace fluorescent light ballast.
o Replace electrical solenoid valve.
o Replace small motors.
o Use test equipment; multi-meter, voltage tester, amp probe.
· Perform plumbing work orders:
o Unplug sinks, toilets, garbage disposals and drain lines.
o Repair or replace valves, gate, globe, ball, solenoid valves.
o Replace washer, gaskets, vacuum breakers, toilet seals.
o Work with different types of pipe including conduit, copper, black, cast iron and pipe hangers.
· Perform Preventive Maintenance work orders:
o Monitor and maintain all laundry and dry cleaning equipment.
o Monitor and maintain all kitchen equipment.
o Maintain guestrooms using Rooms Preventive Maintenance Program Punch List.
o Change air-conditioning filters every quarter.
o Check HVAC equipment; change filters, belts, bearings and lubricate as necessary. Also check for unusual noise or vibration, adjusting as necessary.
o Change or repair locks as needed.
o Cut and mark keys for guestroom key inventory.
o Check and test-run emergency generator weekly.
· Perform general maintenance to guestrooms and public areas.
· Assist electrician, carpenter, plumber, tiling and wallcoverings in all phases of repair work.
· Assist other engineering personnel as instructed by supervisor in regards to routine and preventive maintenance.
· Maintain cleanliness and organization of the work area to include:
o Requisition (receipt and storage)
o Trash removal and clean up
· Maintain the proper use, cleaning, maintenance and storage of all tools.
· Handle chemicals for designated uses/surfaces.
· Ensure security of any assigned keys.
· Assist with any special projects assigned.
· Assist with rooms maintenance which includes replacement of switches, outlets, light bulbs, rewiring of lamps and appliances, caulking bath tubs, shower head replacement.
· Assume the responsibilities of the Duty Engineer, which includes carrying the pager or other designated devices, conducting rounds and checking building equipment.
· Attend designated department and staff meetings.
· Recommend energy saving ideas.
· Recommend safety ideas; participates in fire prevention and other life safety programs.
· Wipe down walls, clean and paint as needed.
· Repair furniture.
· Build storage bins, shelves, etc.
· Perform other duties as requested