The Mattos Hospitality Team is looking for a Sous Chef to join the group for an exciting upcoming project!
Nine Orchard is a luxury, boutique hotel in a beautiful period building on the Lower East Side, operated by the team at Mattos Hospitality who also own and operate the New York classics, Estela and Altro Paradiso. The Food and Beverage program at Nine Orchard will include an elegant, upscale restaurant, a neighborhood bar, lounge, rooftop bar, in-room dining and private event spaces.
The Sous Chef will assist the Chef de Cuisine with the running and management of the kitchen. This candidate will be able to work well under pressure, execute a range of daily tasks; ensure the kitchen produces exemplary food while simultaneously fostering a healthy, happy work environment. This candidate will have the ability to lead and manage every aspect of the kitchen as it is imperative for this role.
The primary responsibilities include:
- You will be able to to step into a leadership role in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine
- Can oversee kitchen operations in accordance with company standards
- Constantly be a mentor for all kitchen employees, assisting in their training
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in managing the line and all kitchen employees
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with scheduling and labor controls
- Assists the Chef de Cuisine with staff communication, eg meetings, feedback, scheduling
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement, and plating of dishes
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with labor controls and scheduling
- Support the team through the many changes because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Works in liaison with the front-of-house management team to ensure efficient restaurant operations
- Culinary Oversight
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in the creation, costing, and implementation of menus
- Execute menu items from start to finish, ensuring quality is always maintained
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with costing and inventory, in order to ensure budgets are met while waste is avoided
- Uphold the highest standards of food safety, food handling, and sanitation requirements in order to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests
- Understand and uphold sanitary standards and employee health checks in relation to COVID-19 requirements
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations
- Physical Demands
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
- Minimum of 2 years experience at Sous Chef level in a fine dining, full service restaurant.
- Experience managing kitchen operations for food and beverage for multiple outlets within a hotel
- Pursuant to applicable New York City law, all staff members are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company also requires all staff members to receive a COVID-19 booster, within the time frame established by Company policy based upon when the employee was fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of compliance with these requirements must be furnished before an individual can be scheduled to work for the Company. Should you wish to discuss an accommodation to these requirements, please let us know.
We are an equal opportunities employer, all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.