The Sous Chef will lead and manage all restaurant operations following the leadership of the Head Chef to offer a world-class culinary experience, ensure concept vision and TFG standards are executed consistently. Demonstrate that employees are the highest priority, maintain a positive work environment and develop the next generation of restaurant leaders. Take ownership of the restaurant; ensure the restaurant operates efficiently and profitably.
What you can expect from us:
- Competitive Pay with industry leading benefits
- Access to Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, and even insurance for your pets
- 50% off food at any of our restaurants
- Flexible Schedules
- Fun, Dynamic, Innovative atmosphere
- Education Assistance/Tuition Reimbursement
- Career Advancement opportunities
Skills & Knowledge
- Position requires a minimum of 3+ years of sous chef experience and 5+ years of kitchen experience. Culinary degree preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of culinary fundamentals (knife skills, butchery, sauces, all kitchen stations) is required.
- Requires developed communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed independently or in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader.
- Ability to maintain compliance with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Ability to supervise, train and motivate multiple levels of employees. Ability to assess/evaluate other employees’ performance in a fair and consistent manner.
- Extensive knowledge of food industry, restaurants and competitive markets.
- Basic knowledge of revenue management. Participation in the development of short- and long-term financial and operational goals of the restaurants.
Abilities & Working Conditions
- This position will spend 100% of the time standing or walking.
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours in length.
Position reports to the Head Chef.
Culinary Leadership Work with the Head Chef to create innovative and authentic menus. Educate self and communicate to team on regional history, culture and cuisine. Educate self and communicate to team on industry trends, innovative techniques and environmentally friendly product/procedures. Develop, coach and consistently execute culinary standards. Ensure consistent menu execution by using tools such as line checks, menu change SOP’s and recipes. Constantly work to improve standards and guest satisfaction. Impact service by being on the line during peak times, press events, and festival periods.
Performance and Talent Development Educate and coach team to exceed expectations. Develop a team of leaders that are prepared and qualified to move upward in the organization. Clearly define expectations and hold individuals accountable. Provide both positive and constructive feedback to team in a timely manner and documented when appropriate. Delegate appropriately and fairly to develop and motivate team. Actively recruit and hire top tier talent. Treat potential employees with same sense of hospitality and respect as employees and guests. Execute training program consistently for both hourly and management employees.
Ambassador of TFG Culture Seek out opportunities to communicate ThinkFoodGroup’s vision to team, guests, students, vendors and community in a clear and positive manner. Lead by example. Demonstrate ownership, accountability, and initiative in daily tasks by anticipating business needs and proactively addressing issues. Readily adjust to circumstances and manage change effectively by finding ways to accommodate team and guests by always ‘making it happen’, without sacrificing quality. Create a positive work environment by demonstrating no tolerance for negative behaviors. Welcome new ideas and seek feedback from team by asking questions. Exemplify professionalism and hospitality in all interactions and especially in difficult situations.
Manage Daily Operations Understand, practice and teach policies and procedures. Ensure concept vision and communicate policy to team and managers. Communicate any major facility or operational emergencies to COO immediately. Maintain a daily log to communicate between shifts and prevent issues from reoccurring. Regularly conduct service team (2/day) and chef meetings (1/week.) Provide a safe, clean, organized and sanitary work environment. Teach and enforce Food Sanitation and Safety standards. Ensure all Health Standards, federal and state laws are met. Correct all violations with a sense of urgency. Work with Home Office support (finance, marketing, events) to ensure standards are met.
Manage Financial Results Develop and execute a plan to stay within department budgets and maximize profits. Actively manages inventory, waste, and pricing to meet cost targets. Effectively manage kitchen and janitor labor, scheduling and payroll. Ensure tools such as Compeat are utilized correctly and data is accurate. Reach out to TFG community for support as needed.