Position Reports To: General Manager, Assistant General Manager
Positions Supervised: Team Member
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
At Costa Vida, we serve AMAZING. A Shift Lead is responsible for leading and executing the brand standards during a period of shift, typically 4 to 6 hours. Shift Leads are expected to maintain a high level of food quality, customer service, and sanitation. The Shift Lead is the Manager on Duty (MOD) when an Assistant General Manager or General Manager is not present.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assumes responsibility for providing the ultimate guest experience.
- Provides a clean, safe environment in which Guests feel comfortable to dine.
- Ensures all Guests are treated with dignity, respect and professionalism.
- Is aware of any Guest issues and sees they are handled in a fair and timely fashion. Follows up with Team Members regarding Guest feedback, providing training and coaching in any areas below standards.
- Trains employees with a high Guest satisfaction mentality, providing great service and product at all times.
- Builds relationships with Guests, leading to repeat visits and therefore increased sales. Methods including table touching, identifying repeat visitors then acting accordingly and extra efforts for kids.
- Assumes responsibility for quality assurance and brand standards are kept within the restaurant.
- Maintains the Quality Assurance Program and sees that standards are actively upheld within the restaurant. Coaches, trains and acts on areas that present an opportunity for improvement. Ensures that the restaurant is neat, clean, safe and organized.
- Ensures that food is kept within proper temperature guidelines.
- Assist the GM and AGM by maintaining good knowledge of HAACP program and executing by the Costa Vida standards.
- Follows, and sees that portioning guidelines are adhered to for master recipes and menu build recipes alike.
- Ensures that all prepared recipes meet Costa Vida taste and appearance standards.
- Assumes responsibility for the training and development of team members while on duty.
- Maintains an environment where all Team Members are treated fairly and respected, to successfully operate, in addition to creating an atmosphere where Team Members want to be, grow and learn.
- Assists Management Team to ensure that all Team Members are trained, motivated and empowered to meet and exceed Costa Vida standards. Provides feedback and coaching to strengthen skill set and execution.
- Seeks development and growth opportunities for personal improvement.
- Leads by providing the proper example for Team Members to follow.
- Assists Management Team to identify staffing needs (including day-to-day and special circumstances) and acts accordingly.
- Is positive and professional in all interactions with Team Members, Guests, Vendors and Colleagues.
- Makes effective decisions regarding Team Members’ performance. Holding Team Members accountable for their actions. Confronts poor and/or exceptional performance accordingly.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Stress Management
- Team Player
- Customer Focus
- Performance Management
- Education/Certification: No requirements.
- Required Knowledge: Basic communication skills needed.
- Experience Required: At least 1 year working in a similar environment.
- Skills/Abilities: Basic skills/abilities.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Standing: For extended time periods.
- Grasping: Using fingers and palm on an object.
- Repetitive Motions: Movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Finger dexterity: Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
- Talking: Especially where one must convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
- Average Visual Abilities: Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products or operate machinery.
- Physical Strength: Medium Work. Exerting up to 50 lbs. occasionally, and/or up to 20 lbs. frequently, and/or 10 lbs. constantly.
- None: No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions.
MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQURIEMTNS OF THIS POSITION
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one or two step instructions and to deal with ordinary, standardized situations.
- Mathematics Ability: Ability to perform very basic math skills including adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing two-digit numbers; the four basic arithmetic operations with money; and operations with units such as inch, foot, yard; ounce, and pound (or their metric counterparts).
- Language Ability: Ability to use passive vocabulary of 5,000-6,000 words; read at a slow rate; and define unfamiliar words in dictionaries for meaning, spelling, and pronunciation. Ability to write complex sentences, using proper punctuation, and using adjectives and adverbs. Ability to communicate in complex sentences, using normal word order with present and past tenses and good vocabulary. Ability to communicate distinctly with appropriate pauses and emphasis; correct pronunciation (or sign equivalent); and variation in word order using present, perfect, and future tenses.
INTENT AND FUNCTION OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.